The Basics of Dieting
Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach, Atkins, Zone, Slim-Fast, Nutrisystem. What do all of these diets have in common? Restricting calories!
The simple fact is that for a short period of time, EVERY diet will work if there is some form of calorie restriction. If we follow a diet plan that consists of restricting calories, we WILL lose weight.
Well, what’s the problem?
The problem is we aren’t able to follow these restrictive diets for a long period of time. We eventually give up because it’s too difficult to maintain. Then we follow another diet plan that incorporates restricted calories. And after struggling with the calorie restrictions, we give up on that one too. Can you say, “Yo-Yo Dieting“?!
We are great at short term weight loss, but not so great with long term, permanent weight loss.
So What’s The Long Term, Permanent Weight Loss Solution?
We basically just need a restricted calorie diet that is EASY to maintain, right?
Let’s call it the “No Fuss, No Muss” Plan.
We need something that we can follow.
We need something that we don’t have to worry about.
We need something that will make us feel good.
We need something that will help us lose weight!
Introducing, An Unusual Concept
Think about it. We are always talking about what we “should be eating” to LOSE WEIGHT. Doesn’t that seem backwards?! We already know that we need to be in a calorie deficit to be losing weight. So, what are we doing eating if we have a goal of losing weight? Shouldn’t we be fasting?
Fasting, Who Does That?
Fasting isn’t a new concept. It’s done by thousands of people all over the world. But just to be clear on what a fast and fasting is, let’s consult a dictionary. According to dictionary.com:
fast [fast, fahst]
- to abstain from all food.
- to eat only sparingly or of certain kinds of food, especially as a religious observance.
- to cause to abstain entirely from or limit food; put on a fast: to fast a patient for a day before surgery.
- an abstinence from food, or a limiting of one’s food, especially when voluntary and as a religious observance; fasting.
- a day or period of fasting.
It’s a simple concept, right? In fact, as the definitions state, it IS done for medical reasons (like before surgeries) and for religious observances. It can also be used for weight control. But before we get into that, let’s alleviate some worries that you may have about fasting in general.
Alleviating The Fear Of FastingI’m sure you’ve heard all kinds of crazy things about fasting and how it puts you into starvation mode, slows down your metabolism to a crawl and burns all your muscle away.
Well, in a study done back in 1994, researches found that the resting metabolic rate (kJ/min) was significantly increased after 36 h of starvation (12 h 4.60 (SE 0.14), 36 h 4.88 (SE 0.13), P < 0.001), but was not significantly different from the 12 h value after 72 h (72 h 4.72 (SE 0.15) P = 0.06).
What in the world does that mean? It means that fasting does NOT adversely affect our metabolism! THAT’S GREAT NEWS! There are other similar studies out there, it’s just that the information can be difficult to find.
The bottom line is that short bouts of fasting will NOT have adverse affects on our metabolism AND it can be used to create that calorie restriction that we know will help us to lose weight. Wahoooooo!
OK, what about our muscles wasting away during a fast? If you never left your bed and didn’t eat anything for months on end, you would definitely waste away. BUT, if you are doing some strength training while fasting, you will NOT lose your muscle, just the fat! And remember, we are going to focus on SHORT fasting periods.
So, how do we use fasting to help us lose weight?
Introducing, Intermittent Fasting
Since we are looking for the “No Fuss, No Muss” Plan, a combination of short-term fasting and strength training is an easy way to create a calorie deficit. And remember this has NO negative impact on our metabolism or our muscle.
When I say short-term, I mean a 24 hour period. For example, fasting from 6pm Wednesday to 6pm Thursday. Here’s some great things about this:
- This is an easy way to decrease your calorie intake by about 15%.
(30% if you do it twice a week on non-consecutive days.)
- No fancy nutritional planning.
- You just eat normally the rest of the week.
- No special food shopping list.
- It’s flexible. You control the times and the days.
- No expensive supplements or pills.
- You never go a day without eating!
Should you be doing it?
Yes, you should! You wanted a simple, effective, “No Fuss, No Muss” plan, right? Then this IS the plan for you! Just promise me you’ll do some strength training too!
And the cool thing is that there are so many interesting things that you’ll learn about yourself when you decide to fast for 24 hours such as:
- Why you eat (and its almost never because of hunger)
- What your real weaknesses are (this could be things other than favorite foods like social eating or tempting commercials etc)
- That you don’t need to constantly eat to have energy
- You’ll also get a ton of work done, and you’ll probably drop a couple pounds of water weight.
- It will also be beneficial for you to workout while fasting to help prove to your customers that you CAN have a great workout without needing to eat before or after!
Click here for more intermittent fasting data that is backed by science and amazing life transforming testimonials
Is Intermittent Fasting The Key To Successful Weight Loss?
Give it a try and tell me all about it in the comments below. And if you have questions, just ask them below too!