There are thousands upon thousands of fast food restaurants around the country.
And those fast food joints are teaming with fast food options that are filled with saturated fats and refined carbs.
Even the term “healthy fast food” seems to be an oxymoron. Is it possible to have healthy fast food?
The verdict is…
YES, it IS possible!
Now, even though we are surrounded by fast food restaurants and horrible unhealthy options, there is a restaurant that I can recommend that will provide you with a healthy, delicious meal.
But, before I name the restaurant, let’s talk a little about food in general.
To be healthy food, we need it to be:
- as fresh as possible, organic and local produce is the best,
- meat from animals raised without the use of antibiotics or added hormones, and
- dairy from cows raised without the use of synthetic hormones
Now that sounds pretty good, right? Well, I can tell you that if we ate food that met those 3 standards it would be delicious AND healthy!
OK, so back to the restaurant.
The restaurant with Healthy Fast Food is…Chipotle!
Chipotle actually follows all 3 standards that are listed above. In fact, they call it “Food With Integrity”. Pretty cool, huh? Don’t get me wrong though, you will STILL need to be careful in your choices of food at this restaurant because you can easily order a whole day’s worth of calories in one Chipotle meal!
See, if you were to get a Chipotle burrito with double meat, rice, beans, all the salsas, fajita veggies, sour cream, cheese and guacamole, you would have a 1500 calorie “gut bomb”!
Don’t over do it, do this…
It is quite clear that you can easily NOT be healthy at Chipotle. So, let me walk you through this.
First off, the burrito has to go! That soft flour tortilla is 290 calories that we don’t need. Instead, go for the burrito bowl.
Second, it should be obvious, but don’t go for the second serving of meat. I actually don’t get ANY meat in my burrito bowl. If you do have to go with a meat, the chicken is the healthiest choice.
Third, go with the brown rice over the white rice for a few reasons. There are fewer calories, less sodium and more dietary fiber in the brown rice.
Fourth, the beans. Go black beans over pinto beans for the healthier option. The black beans have less sodium and more dietary fiber.
You can throw in the fajita veggies if you’d like. I personally get a veggie bowl, so I, of course, get the fajita veggies.
The healthiest of all the salsas is the green tomatillo salsa. It has the fewest calories and the least amount of sodium.
The final selections are going to be very tempting. I recommend staying away from the cheese and the sour cream. I opt for the guacamole, yes, it’s calorie dense, but those are healthy calories from avocados!
Do NOT get ANY chips. The chips are 570 diet killing, unhealthy calories!
The Healthy Fast Food Chipotle Burrito Bowl
To the right is my usual Chipotle Burrito Bowl. When on the road, I’ll pass dozens of fast food restaurants just to get this healthy fast food meal.
You’ll notice that this meal is:
- under 500 calories,
- low in sugar,
- full of dietary fiber (a whopping 21g),
- a decent amount of protein, and
- low in saturated fat (most of the fat is a good type of fat, monounsaturated fat, from the guacamole).
One bad thing you may have noticed is the sodium level. It is relatively high in sodium, but it could be much worse.
More Good News
A few other things that are great about Chipotle.
- You can check the calorie counts with the Chipotle Online Nutrition Calculator.
- If you have an iPhone, you can get the Chipotle Ordering app and order on the go. Plus you can save your order to save time.
- You can order vegan or vegetarian options. My usual Burrito Bowl happens to be vegan friendly.
Wrapping Up (no pun intended)
I hope you can see that healthy fast food IS possible! I highly recommend going for a healthy Chipotle Burrito Bowl when you are on the go.
Now I have a couple of questions…
- Did you click the “Like” button to the left? Go ahead and do it now if you liked this article.
- Do you plan on hitting a Chipotle any time soon? Tell me all about it in the comments below.